By Sherry Harris
Surrounded by snow in Northern Virginia
Happy Presidents Day. I decided to take this opportunity to think about what the country would be like if the Wickeds and their characters were combined into one person to serve as President.
1. Morrow Island will become the Camp David of the North and open to the public when President Barbia isn’t there. (Does Barbia sound like the name Mattel would make up for a president?)
2. State dinners will be clambakes complete with heads of states wearing bibs with lobsters on them. Amid the claw cracking and dripping butter they will realize their differences are few and we will have world peace.
1. President Camerith (sounds like the name of a fair maiden) will make sure everyone has access to locally grown, sustainable, organic food.
2. We will all have gardens from tiny ones on windowsills to backyard beauties to entire urban parks transformed into organic farms (the Canadians are way ahead of us in this regard). People will live longer and world hunger will be eradicated.
1. Maple syrup on every table. President Jessni (sounds like a teen Disney star) will share maple syrup recipes with their antioxidant properties.
2. She’ll make sure we drink plenty of water, set goals, and have us tapping to relieve stress. Everyone will be so healthy the World Health Organization will have little to do.
1. President Rulie (a good name for a monarch?) will want every town to have a beautiful clock tower and a local playhouse.
2. President Rulie will teach us all to accessorize. Arts will be required at every school. The world will become more beautiful and tolerant.
1. President Lizstan (Lizstan sounds like a country) will make sure our pets will have good organic food to eat.
2. There will be no more animal kill shelters. Dogs and cats will be loved and placed in forever homes. Feral animals will be neutered and live in safe colonies. Respect and love for animals will spread to people around the world.
1. President Sherah (sounds like a blend of wines) will make sure garage and tag sales are held in every community.
2. She will teach people to barter and will require all dumps and landfills to have thrift shops to sell things that shouldn’t have been thrown away (Monterey, California has one and it has amazing stuff). She is sure somehow, this will make the world a better place.